When properly maintained and used, warehouse shelves will greatly enhance and improve safety issues in any storage facility or warehouse. Nonetheless, in order to achieve the highest levels of safety, it is important for business to choose the right type of pallet racks for the warehouse and storage facilities, and then maintain those shelves in order to keep them in optimum condition. So, how can your employees and you as well, properly maintain and manage warehouse shelves for your optimum safety?
- Firstly and most importantly, buy warehouse shelves from a reputable racking supplier.
- Replace shelving systems that have been degraded by rust or damaged by forklifts, because damaged shelves can cause inventory to come crashing down on your employees.
- Train your employees how to keep pallet racks clean.
- Avoid mixing various styles and brands of warehouse shelves unless you are absolutely sure that it is the safe thing to do.
- Check the holding capacities of your pallet rack systems and make sure that the weight of loads standing on shelving systems will not cause an overload.
- Arrange and design your shelving systems in order to leave enough space for forklift driving, employee movement, lighting and water sprinkler system.
- Install the warehouse shelves up for optimal efficiency, so your employees would not have to carry or lift so much.
- Reduce the use of forklift truck. Organize your warehouse so that forklift driving is kept to a minimum as they can cause serious injuries in a warehouse.
- Provide adequate space and lighting for the light to shine through your pallet rack systems.
- Give your employees on-going training and education about working safely with conveyors, forklifts and shelving systems.
- Post visible instructions and clear signs on your pallet racks.
- Schedule regular inspections of your storage facility to identify potentially dangerous and unsafe pallet racking system.
- Stabilize the loads on warehouse shelves with decking, shrink wrap, etc.
As we said above, always purchase shelving systems from reputable pallet racking supplier. Someone who carries a wide range of such units, offers good value for the money and is able to fulfill each of your specif needs. Also, make sure your order will be delivered to your warehouse safe and quickly. Whatever your warehouse requirements are, a reputable supplier should be able to find the right solution for you.