The pallet jack is one of the most commonly used machines in every warehouse. It is a powerful and highly efficient machine which is generally used for lifting and moving pallets and other heavy items. The motorized pallet jack is quite easy to use. You don’t need specific skills or qualifications to operate the pallet jack. But however, certain safety rules must be followed. Using a pallet jack improperly can lead to serious accidents and injuries. You will find different types of pallet jacks on the market, and all of them can be used for wide range of material handling tasks, like: order picking, loading/unloading, and stacking. Little effort is required from the operators for moving and maneuvering a pallet jack. You will save both time and money, and you will be able to pick and move tough wooden pallets and goods at once. For optimal performance, make sure you follow the safety rules mentioned below:
- If you don’t have the skills, or if you are using the pallet jack for the first time, take time and learn the basic controls and actions. Only authorized people should operate this material handling tool.
- Always inspect the pallet jack prior every operation. You should always check the visible parts of the machine before using it. If you spot any defect, leave the jack pallet in hands of professional technicians.
- Learn how to operate the pallet jack on open and spacious areas, in order to avoid bumping and hitting nearby objects. Avoid using the pallet jack on uneven and wet surfaces, because you might lose control.
- Pay close attention on the traffic routes, electric cables, blind bends and gas pipes, to avoid overturn of the load.
- Do not turn the pallet jack too quickly. If you do that, you might lose control which can cause serious accidents and even injuries. That’s why you should drive the pallet jack slowly and carefully. Even though the pallet jacks are small machines, if you run into a pedestrian, injuries can be very serious.
- There is a risk of damaging the goods if the pallet jack is overloaded. Try not to exceed the safe working load of the pallet jack.