So your child is about two years old and you think it is time to substitute his/her crib for a bed. Just so you know, that will not an easy thing to do. That is so because toddlers feel safe in their crib, maybe because of the crib’s small size and tall sides. So in order to make a smooth switch, you may want to start the process with a smaller bed.
A small starter bed has the same mattress size as a standard crib 140cm x 70 cm. In addition to making the transition easier, there are also some other advantages that come with this bed:
– it leaves lots of floor-space in the room,
– your child will be able to use this bed until the age of five or six
– the mattress comes with a wipe-clean body with a breathable foam head area, thus, those bed-wetting nights while your child is getting used to get out of bed to pee will be not so tough to handle
As your child gets older, he/she will need a larger bed. The great advantage of larger beds is that your child can invite a friend for a sleepover and simply share the bed. If you prefer and have enough space in your kid’s bedroom, you can buy a trundle-bed or pull-out bed, which is easily found at childrens beds Australia retailers.
While shopping in childrens beds Australia stores, you will be amazed by the variety of bed shapes and forms available. When you find the one that you like best, take a closer look. Keep in mind that your child’s bed will be a sofa, a den, a trampoline and occasionally a place to sleep. It will undergo more abuse than any other furniture in your house. So make sure to check out the materials and double check the hardware that keeps it all together.
When it comes to the mattress foundation, there are two main types:
– The Box Spring – A sturdy upholstered wooden frame that contains springs or some other form of torsion. This mattress foundation serves three main purposes: to help elevate the mattress’s height, to help create a perfectly flat and firm structure for the mattress, and to help absorb shock and reduce wear to the mattress.
– Wood Slats – A common type of mattress foundation which consists of few hard wood planks attached together and fixed to the bed-rails. The great advantage of using a slatted bed is that it allows an easy access under the bed for storage and cleaning.
Theme beds, like car-beds, digger-beds, train-beds, etc., are very interesting for kids, but they also require particular attention. These bed models tend to cost more, so it is quite common to find out that the manufacturer has tried to save some money, hence compromising the quality, which can definitely affect the stability and durability of the bed.
Buying children’s beds online
Due to the variety of childrens beds Australia online retailers have made it pretty easy to buy a bed for your children online today. However, being able to check it yourself and lie on the bed is still the best way to ensure its quality. If you decide to buy online, ensure that you have the option for a full refund in case you are not satisfied for some reason.