The construction workers are constantly exposed to various risks on the job site due to the nature of their work and the industrial machines that are used. Many accidents can happen on the construction sites if appropriate safety rules are not being followed. For every machine or equipment that is used, appropriate skills and knowledge is vital.
The mobile cranes are the most common machines that can be seen on every construction site all over Australia. In general, a mobile crane is a lifting machine used for lifting and moving loads with large weight. In Australia, more than 125,000 cranes are used every day within the construction industry, meaning that around 200,000 workers are directly included in the crane operations. Although there are strict rules that must be followed, the crane accidents are still very common.
The most common reason for crane accidents and injuries is improperly hoisted loads which usually leads to uncontrolled tip-overs of the mobile crane. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health explicitly states that the crane operators need to perform some inspections and to follow some rules for increased safety on the construction site. These rules are:
- Regular mobile crane inspection and maintenance according to the manufacturer’s manual. Proper maintenance is important for achieving the best results. Regular inspection is also vital to ensure that the mobile crane is in good working conditions.
- Appropriate training programs for the crane operators. One of the factors for mobile crane accidents is the lack of knowledge and skills. That’s why the operators need to be properly trained in order to learn all the skills that are required for safe and efficient crane operation. It is vital for the mobile crane operator to be properly trained before using the machine.
- Following the manufacturer’s guidelines for assembling and disassembling the mobile crane. The instructions for assembling and disassembling the mobile crane are crucial for safe operation.
- Ensuring effective communication between the crane operator and other workers on the job site. The operator of the mobile crane should be aware of all safety risks, and also the operator needs to communicate with all other workers that are working near the mobile crane. This way serious accidents can be avoided.
- Using standard hand signals and providing training for signal personAll workers on the construction site must understand the standard hand signals that are used for more effective operation and communication. A person who is specially trained for hand signals is crucial for effective communication.
These rules and safety tips are only part of the complete list of recommendations which are specifically written for the mobile cranes. It is important for workers to be aware of the risks when operating or working near mobile crane. These steps do not promise that accidents won’t happen in the future, but what needs to be done so that the number of mobile crane accidents can be minimized.