‘Drinking alcohol promotes weight gain’. A myth or a true fact? For party lovers, a myth. For fitness experts and nutritionists, a fact. Alcohol is the beverage we barely consider as a caloric drink. But the truth is that alcohol is high in calories, which we consume without being aware. This can surely ruin the healthy eating plan and diet. In other words, if on a diet to lose extra weight, know that alcohol is undeniably, one of the biggest enemies of the fit and slim body line.
Expert nutritionists claim that the elimination of alcoholic beverages is one of the few weight-loss strategies that really work. But this does not mean you are FORBIDDEN to consume any alcohol. Of course, not. You just need to do it in moderation. With so much to celebrate in life, from anniversaries and birthdays to professional and personal achievements, it is really hard to say no to alcohol drinks. Let’s admit it, alcohol is after all, the most effective positive mood boosters.
The good news is, you can still drink alcohol and stay slim. With moderation and right-drink selection, of course. What you need to do is learn more about the alcohol you consume and how much of it will not sabotage your ‘getting slim’ goal. To help you get and stay on the right track, here are few ways you can drink alcohol without adding extra weight.
- Switch to white wine. It is widely known that any type of white wine is good for both physical and mental health and for maintaining the body in a good shape. For example, a quality, easy-drinking Chardonnay is a diet-friendly type of white wine. It is low in congeners, which supports body’s metabolic rate, meaning you can drink white wine without feeling guilty about it.
- Go for a white wine spritzer. Let’s say you are invited to a wedding but are on a strict diet and alcohol is forbidden. Toasting with a glass of water is not a way to go. Hook up with any type of white wine spritzer. Aside from being refreshing and delicious, the blend of white wine and club soda cuts calories in half.
- In order to prevent the negative alcohol effect on your health and figure, drink no more than two light cocktails at night, no more than three nights a week. Even better, ditch the Cosmopolitan, Margarita, Mojito and Pina Colada and enjoy the health benefits of white or red wine.
- Avoid consuming alcohol drinks on an empty stomach. If so, you will be faced with unbearable food cravings that will surely lead you to high-calorie snacks. And let’s not mention the wicked headaches the morning after. Enjoy a healthy dinner before grabbing the alcohol.
- Do not forget to drink water between your alcohol shots. Since alcohol dehydrates, drink water, which will also help you avoid the dreaded hangover.