Every now and then we all want to make some changes in the space we live in. Changing the furniture, rugs, curtains, blinds or even the decorative pillows can add a whole new look to your home. In this post I’ll focus on one rather functional decorative element – the roller blinds. If you are in the middle of a renovation project and measuring and choosing the right roller blinds for your space is your ultimate concern at the moment, stay with me. You can thank me later.
These come in wide array of colours and materials so your choice will depend on a number of factors. For example, you need to consider whether you want to block the light or keep the heat in, as well as whether you need them for decorative purposes as well. But regardless of your choice, there is one thing that is of main importance to be done right – taking the measurements. If you want your new window covers to fit perfectly well, you need to know how to measure roller blinds properly. No worries, we’ve got that covered.
The first step is to determine whether you want the roller blinds to be inside fit or outside fit. Most people choose inside fit as this provides a more clean look and allows some light to get past the outside edges. If you decide to go with inside fit, there are a few things you need to pay attention to. For example, notice whether the window frame is deep enough so it fits the blinds perfectly. Different types of blinds require different depths:
- Roller blinds – 60mm
- Wooden blinds – 70mm
- Vertical blinds -75mm
Outside fit ones are less common but you may want to go with this option if:
- You want to block the entire light coming from the outside, as the blind will cover the entire window;
- If there are some obstacles in the window frame;
- If the window do not have a regular shape;
- If the frame is not deep enough to fit inside blinds.
Once you are done with this decision, you can start measuring. If you want to take all measurements right, you need to measure very accurately. Take all measurements twice to ensure you are getting the right results.
- When taking measurements for inside fit, measure the inside width and the inside height of the frame. If you’re considering ordering vertical blinds, aluminium or wooden blinds measure the drop in three places: center, left and right of the frame.
- Before measuring the window for outside fit, you need to make another important decision – how you will fit the blinds. This generally depends on the style of the window frame. If the frame does not have architraves, the blinds must be fitted on the wall. On the other hand, if they do have architraves, you can fix the blinds on the edges of the architraves or the wall above them.
Before you make any purchase, make sure you are well informed how to measure roller blinds and that you have mastered the technique. Good luck!