Essential oils bring many benefits to the mind, body and spirit. They are the basis of aromatherapy which takes advantage of the natural aromas found in plants, flowers and woods. Aside from physical and emotional benefits (when used in aromatherapy), essential oils are also known for their medical properties; they have antiseptic properties and can help against bacteria and other infectious organisms. Moreover, thanks to a variety of healing properties, essential oils can help in balancing the emotional dysfunctions, relieving pain, stimulating cell regeneration and combating bacteria, fungi and other infections.
Whether extracted from pure flowers, plants, fruits, barks and leaves, you can buy essential oils online or at a local health food store. To make sure you are buying pure essential oil, pay attention to the words such as ‘fragrance oils’ (a combination of essential oils and chemicals or just plain chemicals) and ‘perfume oils’. If these words are written on the label, do not buy the oil.
Also, seek out retailers/suppliers that sell oils in dark-coloured glass bottles, provide information about their products, their knowledge, company background, length in business, etc. Selecting a vendor that sells high quality pure essential oils is important and so is knowing what each essential oil can do for your health. So before you buy essential oils online or from a local health food store, read these 13 amazing ways you can incorporate essential oils into your life and boost your health.
- Inhale chamomile, lavender or clary sage to relax better and de-stress.
- Mix lavender, rose, chamomile or ylang-ylang with a base oil such as almond or sesame for a relaxing massage.
- Cinnamon essential oil can help you get focused and citrus scents will energize your body.
- Use grapefruit, lemon, peppermint or cinnamon to boost both mood and energy.
- Massage few drops of peppermint on your temples to relieve headache pain and tension.
- Rub eucalyptus essential oil on your chest to relieve cough symptoms and sinus congestion.
- Use lavender to relieve wounds and minor cuts.
- Add several drops of your favourite essential oil to the washer load to freshen your laundry.
- Use essential oils to make homemade cleaning solutions. Choose an essence of your preference (lemon, eucalyptus, lavender) and add ten drops of essential oil to a liter of vinegar.
- You can also use essential oils to make your own sugar scrub. Cover 1 cup brown sugar with sesame, almond or apricot kernel oil, or if you prefer, you can use all three. Now mix in your favourite scents. I personally recommend neroli, tangerine and orange, but don’t be afraid to experiment until you find your own perfect aromatic blends.
- Make essential oils part of your skin care regimen. Oils such as apricot kernel or jojoba, can leave the skin glowing, while helichrysum and thyme oils are perfect for acne-prone or sensitive skin, and clary sage and rose for mature skin.
- Instead of hand sanitizer use a few drops of your favourite essential oil.
- You can also use your favorite essential oil to make your own dresser and closet sachets.